Principal Staff Research Scientist in the Core Research Group at Motorola Mobility
Building Mobile Experiences
Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM (EDT)
Please note that the venue has changed to Monster.com in Kendall Sq.
We’re sold out tonight.
Using examples from over a decade of research at Motorola and six years of teaching at MIT, Frank will describe his methods for creating and evaluating new mobile experiences. The talk will cover methods from generative research to paper prototyping, usability analysis, mobile programming, and multi-week field evaluations adapted for the unique properties of interaction out in the world. The focus is on getting something built and in use in real-world settings as quickly as possible (often within days!) to learn how these systems integrate with and enhance daily life. This talk will describe how these methods have been used to create services now in use by millions of people such as MotoBLUR, TuVista, and StoryPlace.me.
Frank Bentley is a Principal Staff Research Scientist in the Core Research Group at Motorola Mobility. He also teaches Communicating with Mobile Technology, a Mobile HCI class at MIT. Frank’s research centers on building new mobile experiences to strengthen strong tie social relationships. This work combines methods from anthropology, HCI, design, computer science, and business to understand how people adopt new technology in their lives and the impact of using these new systems in longitudinal studies for months at a time.
- 6:30 – 7:00 Networking over pizza and beverages
- 7:00 – 8:30 Meeting
- 8:30 – 9:00 CHI Dessert and more networking!
Parking is available at metered spots on the street, or at pay lots throughout Kendall Square. The building does not have parking available for visitors. Monster.com is less than a 5-minute walk from the Kendall Sq T station on the Red Line.
Upcoming Local Events
- May 21, 2013
- Bytes and AtomsStarts: 6:00 pmLocation: Brightcove 290 Congress Street Third Floor Boston, MA
- May 22, 2013
- Mobile Health Design online course by Tufts University School of MedicineStarts: 12:00 amLocation: online via Tufts University School of Medicine; starts May 22 runs through June 26
- May 23, 2013
- Mobile Mastery at Fresh Tilled SoilStarts: 12:00 amLocation: Fresh Tilled Soil in Watertown
Thanks to our sponsors
- IBM Center for Social Business, Constant Contact, and Microsoft NERD provide us with monthly meeting space, logistical support, and sometimes snacks.
- Vitamin T for dessert sponsorship.
- Brightcove provides our video hosting.
- Dreamhost provides our web hosting.
- O'Reilly and Morgan Kaufmann offer our members free books and discounts on books, ebooks, and events.