Wednesday June 20, 2012
Lesley Mottla, vice president, product and member experience, zipcar
Venue: IBM Center for Social Business, 1 Rogers Street, Cambridge (entrance is at Bent and 1st)
Lesley Mottla, VP of Product and Experience at Zipcar, will talk about why good design means fundamentally staying focused on the people you’re serving, deeply understanding how they interact with your product or service, and how good design drives loyalty and growth.
She will explain Zipcar’s approach to understanding customer experiences, how Zipcar strives to continually improve and enhance every aspect of their members’ experience – whether it’s on the web, on a mobile device, in a parking lot or inside a Zipcar – and she will provide examples of experience design efforts at Zipcar that have impacted business results.
Lesley and her team are the behind-the-scenes masterminds who improve, design and innovate the Zipcar member experience across all channels—from mobile to web to the Zipcar itself. Among many other cool features, Lesley led the charge in creating Zipcar’s smart phone applications, making it possible for the rest of us to reserve a Zipcar and honk its horn from across the parking lot.
Prior to Zipcar, Lesley was part of the Microsoft Office Product Group and held key product management roles at Groove Networks, where she helped take the startup to acquisition, and HP Indigo. Earlier on, working in an international service design consultancy, she led cross-discipline teams to create innovative, service-focused experiences for all kinds of consumers and for global clients like BMW, Sheraton, Weight Watchers and AT&T.
Her passion for developing and delivering great experiences for people is matched by her personal enthusiasm for new experiences. She’s co-founded an art studio, co-produced a cooking show for tweens, volunteers each year internationally, and participates on the board of a local non-profit aimed at improving the quality of life for girls in orphanages in the world’s poorest countries.
Lesley is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, College of Natural Resources and the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), East Africa. She earned her MBA from Northeastern University.
6:30 – 7:00 Networking over pizza and beverages
7:00 – 8:30 Meeting
8:30 – 9:00 CHI Dessert and more networking!
If you can provide a ride, or if you need one, check out GoLoco, a free ride-sharing connector service: http://goloco.org/groups/5716.
Upcoming Local Events
- May 21, 2013
- Bytes and AtomsStarts: 6:00 pmLocation: Brightcove 290 Congress Street Third Floor Boston, MA
- May 22, 2013
- Mobile Health Design online course by Tufts University School of MedicineStarts: 12:00 amLocation: online via Tufts University School of Medicine; starts May 22 runs through June 26
- May 23, 2013
- Mobile Mastery at Fresh Tilled SoilStarts: 12:00 amLocation: Fresh Tilled Soil in Watertown
Thanks to our sponsors
- IBM Center for Social Business, Constant Contact, and Microsoft NERD provide us with monthly meeting space, logistical support, and sometimes snacks.
- Vitamin T for dessert sponsorship.
- Brightcove provides our video hosting.
- Dreamhost provides our web hosting.
- O'Reilly and Morgan Kaufmann offer our members free books and discounts on books, ebooks, and events.